Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Personal Response Journal

Dear Blog,
I think all these characters are messed up in the head. All the characters seem so boring, plain and simple and if not that they're bitter, mean, or have some sort of negative feeling. For example throughout this book, I don't really get a sense of love. Not from husband to wife or sister to brother, not even mother to son or anything of that sort. The only one relationship I somewhat feel love in is between Meme and Aureliano Segundo. Which is father to daughter love and vice versa. They're the only ones that you can read on and you feel the love. Meme and Aureliano get along, spend time together and even laugh about things which isn't really something you hear throughout the book. Not even when you read about the couples who are "in love". When I say everyone is bitter or mad or something of that sort I mean for example, Colonel Aureliano Buendia when he was fighting in the war. It seems like that was all he cared about. Amaranta was practically biitter all her life, she seemed to always be jealous of Rebeca even to the end of Rebeca's days when she was old and ugly. Jose Arcadio Buendia always seemed like a madman obsessed with finding out about new things, being stubborn. To be honest, now that I think about this, the book is an uncomfortable book. It is not a world I would like to be stuck in. Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia are cousins and married and they never seemed like they were in love.

The whole book seems to be based around technology, war and discoveries and oh yes...having children with similar names which only makes the book more confusing. For Pete's sake, I'm pretty sure you only read one phrase from a character telling of love, which is the scene were Meme tells her parents she just realized how much she loved them. (I'm not sure if I worded it right).
So yes...this was one of the things that was on my mind throughout the book and in a way it bothered me...

Aurora.

No comments: