Friday, March 2, 2007

Reflective Post Numero Uno



So I just began reading "One Hundred Years Of Solitude" for English. I've had the book for about three years and I never actually read it. I would always start it and by the third page I was bored. When I started readin git for English, it was difficult for me to concentrate on it but by the time I finished the first chapter, I actually understood something from it so I went back and read the beginning and I finally understood it!


Jose Arcadio Buendia makes me mad because he is so driven on creating gold and finding it. For example at the beginning of the book, there are gypsies whom come into town every month and bring things that the people og Macondo have not seen. On one of the first visits, the gypsies bring with them magnets, Jose thinks that they can attract gold so he trades a mule and a pair of goats for the magnets, although he needs those animals yo help them survive. Why if the gypsy told him that it would not work for finding gold did he still continue? His wife even asked him not to do the trade yet stubborn Jose Arcadio Buendia still did.
Just as in our last book "Song Of Solomon" there again is incest. Jose Arcadio Buendia and Ursula are cousins. What I don't seem to understand is why did Ursula and Jose Arcadio Buendia get married? There seemed to be no love and Ursula didn't want to consumate the marriage so why bother marrying? Then the story continues on with Jose Arcadio Buendia murdering someone for what this one man says, so obviously he cares tooooo much for what people say. Then he goes back and makes Ursula take off her pants and they "do it". I know he wanted to do it but...isn't this considered rape because he sorta threatened her? When he told her this he still had the sword he murdered with, in his hand...so she was possibly scared and felt forced to take off her chastity panties? Well obviously, Ursula gets pregnant and she has a baby thats normal!!! She was scared that since Jose Arcadio Buendia was her cousin their babies would come out animalistic. I never in mty life have heard that.
A rndom thought just popped into my head: Why at the beginning of t he book , it mentions that the world was so recent then that you had to pint in order to distinguish things yet...Jose Arcadio Buendia found a 15th Century armor suit? Weird, eh?

No comments: